ALIEF SUPER NEIGHBORHOOD MEETING
Minutes for Tuesday, September 24, 2013
The Alief Super Neighborhood # 25 held its regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, September 24, 7:00 PM, at the CenterPoint Energy Building, 12330 Bellaire Blvd.
Chairperson, Barbara Quattro, was absent. In her stead, Vice Chair, Michael Kreinsen, called the meeting to order at 7:03 P.M. Roll Call of Council members was done by sign-in sheet. A quorum was met (see attached).
GUESTS: Veronica Hernandez (COH Mayor’s office); Catherine Le (Congressman Al Green’s office; representatives from several local HOA’s; City Councilman Al Hoang; Sergio Martinez (Houston DON Dept); HPD Westside Officer Michael Prause; AISD Candidates Michael Bennett and Veronica Thibideaux; and HCC Candidate Ann Williams.
HOSPITALITY –Hospitality was provided by the IMD for this meeting. Hospitality providers are encouraged to volunteer.
1. Brian Burks motioned to approve the August Minutes. Seconded by Harry Ronk. Council voted, motion passed.
2. A motion was made to adjourn the meeting. Seconded and motion passed.
COMMITTEE & STANDING REPORTS
CHAIRS REPORT There was no report due to Barbara’s absence.
TREASURER’S REPORT –Current balance is $1880.30
ELECTIONS/NOMINATING COMMITTEE No input.
PROJECTS/SNAP COMMITTEE No input.
Brian Burks and Karen Loper, International Management (IMD) Brian and Karen gave a powerpoint presentation on the inception, role, and future plans for the IMD in Alief. Issues the IMD addresses include mobility, economics, urban design and public safety. They draw their income from the commercial businesses in the area as an annual assessment. Among the project topics the IMD has addressed include tagging (graffiti abatement), trash and litter, signage, balls and banners, hike and bike trail (partnering with the City of Houston and the Parks Department in a $200,0000 project) breaking ground in 2014, youth safety with the Boy Scouts and apts, nuisance codes, use of HPD overtime officers, a kite festival, mix and mingle business mixers, a fall festival, recycling events, seven acre community garden and SPARK park; rain barrels from Coca Cola; 25 new decorated esplanades on Bissonnet; and attracting investors into the community. The IMD recognized a number of community volunteers in the area with plaques and warm appreciation.
HPD Westside Police Officer.Prause Officer Prause gave a report on crime in the Westside area noting the following year to date numbers: Overall violent crime down 40%; sex crime up from 19 to 29%; robbery up from 488 to 530; burglary up from 884 to 923; burglary motor vehicle up from 880 to 1012; theft up from 408 to 415. The Westside division has shut down several parlors. Arrests in the last 30 days: 4 burglar, 8 assaults, 1 weapons, 15 narcotics and 2 robberies
UPCOMING SPEAKERS- The following speakers are scheduled:
October Candidates Forum at the HCC Campus on Bissonnet. District F, HCC, and AISD School Board candidates invited
November: Meeting date changed to 3rd Tuesday of the month. Speaker will be Alyce Coffee on the subject of recycling in Houston
December No meeting
January 2014 Neighborhoods.Com
Public Session and Announcements.
• Alief Taylor playoff game was held September 2nd on ESPN
• The Alief Community Association Parade took place September 21st. from the ITC to Cook Road and on to the Hastings Ninth Grade Center. Local dignitaries attended
• There will be an effort to get Synott widened through a CIP from Westchase SNC
• Adult Volunteers are needed for the first IMD Fall Festival to be held October 12thnd at the Alief Spark Park and Nature Center on Dairy View 10-2PM
• Bear Creek Community Center is again offering numerous classes including AARP defensive driving
• Construction continues on the new $8M Salvation Army facility at Cook and Beechnut
• City Construction continues on the drainage project on Beechnut as the Bellaire project winds down
• Alief Homeless Outreach Project (AHOP) hosting a concert, Back to School, at 722 Emile Saturday September 28th at 1:00PM.
• The HCC has received a$900,000 grant for a minority center
The next ASNC meeting will be held at 7:00 PM, October 22nd at the HCC Bissonnet Campus Bissonnet location.
The meeting adjourned at 8:45 PM. Attendees were encouraged to talk to speakers and guests after the meeting.
Minutes approved ____________
Compiled, Written and Submitted by
V. M. Sugar, Secretary