ALIEF SUPER NEIGHBORHOOD MEETING
Minutes for Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Alief Super Neighborhood # 25 held its regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, November 27th, 7:00 PM, at the CenterPoint Energy Building, 12330 Bellaire Blvd.
Chairperson, Barbara Quattro, called the meeting to order at 7:10 P.M. Roll Call of council members was done by sign-in sheet. A quorum was met (see attached).
GUESTS: Veronica Hernandez (COH Mayor’s office); Catherine Le (Congressman Al Green’s office); Kevin Kebede (YMCA); Ahn Tran (HFD)and Courtney Martinez (HCC-Katy)
HOSPITALITY – No hospitality was provided at this meeting. Hospitality providers are encouraged to volunteer.
1. Neeta Sane motioned to accept the September and October Minutes. Seconded by Brian Burkes. Council voted, motion passed.
2. Neeta Sane motioned to adjourn the meeting. Seconded Brian Burkes, motion passed.
COMMITTEE & STANDING REPORTS
Barbara Quattro opened the meeting. A childrens Garden, suggested by Keep Houston Beautiful and financed by Lowes, will be started in the Community Garden. She noted a dedication ceremony for the entire community garden took place November 10th at 10:00am. There are open positions on the council, one of which is for an AISD student, Elizabeth Nguyen, who will be seated tonight. As mentioned before, the county has taken over maintenance of the old Alief cemetery and a letter of thank you was sent to Commissioner Steve Raddack. Barbara asked the committee about SNAP requests for 2013.
TREASURER’S REPORT –The reported balance was $1051.47
ELECTIONS/NOMINATING COMMITTEE There are open positions on the council and Frank Garcia has sent out emails seeking interested organizations. Elizabeth Nguyen was seated and presented with a membership certificate.
PROJECTS/SNAP COMMITTEE The City of Houston will be starting the rebuild of Beechnut made in the 2007SNAP request to improve Beechnut from Beltway 8 to Synott.
Ahn Tran, Houston Fire Department Mr. Tran spoke about his enjoyment at representing HFD at community gatherings. He reviewed various safety issues regarding preventing fire threats including housekeeping, smoke detectors, space heaters, kitchen fires, Christmas trees, fireplaces, clothes dryers and electric blankets. He noted a program to provide free smoke detectors and a United Way program to inspect houses for senior fire prevention. He also mentioned the HFD toy drive, and accepted a toy from Barbara Quattro.
UPCOMING SPEAKERS- The following speakers are scheduled:
• Susan Rodgers, University of Houston Collaborative Community Design Initiative Ms. Rogers, who was scheduled to speak in October, will be the speaker for January 22, 2013
Public Session and Announcements.
• There will be a SNAP workshop December 10th run by Rebuild Houston to be attended by Frank Garcia and Barbra Quattro
• AISD Education Foundation will be having a golf tournament to provide scholarships and clothing to those in need
• The Alief Leaders Coalition will meet November 28, 2012 from 1pm to 2:30pm at the Alief YMCA, 7850 Howell Sugar Land Rd., Houston, TX
• Elsik High School is in the playoffs
• Brookfield subdivision will be having a cleanup in January
• There will be a Christmas event 12/16 and a toy giveaway 12/15
• The mayor’s office will have a party for 500 children at the SW Police Station
The next ASNC meeting will be held at 7:00 PM, January 22, 2013 at the Centerpoint location.
The meeting adjourned at 8:25 PM.
Minutes approved ____________
Compiled, Written and Submitted by
V. M. Sugar, Secretary