ALIEF SUPER NEIGHBORHOOD MEETING
Minutes for Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Alief Super Neighborhood # 25 held its regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, March 26, 7:00 PM, at the CenterPoint Energy Building, 12330 Bellaire Blvd.
Chairperson, Barbara Quattro, called the meeting to order at 7:05 P.M. Roll Call of council members was done by sign-in sheet. A quorum was met (see attached).
GUESTS: Veronica Hernandez (COH Mayor’s office); Catherine Le (Congressman Al Green’s office); Kevin Kebede (YMCA);HPD Officers Mike Prause and Neil Maurer; Margie Hogan (Property Manager, Crown Colony), and Rachel Carrera (TX Workforce Commission);
HOSPITALITY –Hospitality was provided by ASNC for this meeting. Hospitality providers are encouraged to volunteer.
1. Neeta Sane motioned to accept the February Minutes. Seconded by Mike Kreinsen. Council voted, motion passed.
2. Neeta Sane motioned to adjourn the meeting. Seconded Bryan Burkes, motion passed.
COMMITTEE & STANDING REPORTS
Barbara Quattro introduced Officers Prause and Maurer.
TREASURER’S REPORT –The reported balance was $2082.48
ELECTIONS/NOMINATING COMMITTEE. Kevin Kebede, representing the Y, was inducted into the ASNC as Youth Services Provider representative, and given a certificate of membership.
PROJECTS/SNAP COMMITTEE The ASNC’s wish list for the CIP includes the (Hennington) library expansion with a multi-purpose center, expansion of the COH Hike and Bike trails, and repair of the sports fields at the Alief Community Park. Barbara is spearheading an effort to present signed petitions to the mayor and attending city council meetings supporting expansion of the Hennington library. She has already received support from several council members including Al Hoang of District F. She is continuing to successfully solicit letters of support from area leaders.
HPD Westside officers Prause and Maurer provided the following crime breakdown comparisons in the Alief area from January to the end of March:
TYPE 2012 2013
Murder 5 -0-
Sexual Assault 3 5
Assaults Down 6%
Robbery 114 149
Burglary Habitat 286 267
Theft 359 289
Burg Motor Vehicles 249 298
Auto Theft 123 128
UPCOMING SPEAKERS- The following speakers are scheduled:
• Parks by You – April 23rd
• COH Legal Department – May
• Harris County Flood Control District – June
Public Session and Announcements.
• Bear Creek Community Center is again offering numerous classes including AARP defensive driving
• The Salvation Army had its groundbreaking for a new 10 acres, 38,000 square foot facility at Cook and Beechnut March 25th at 11:30 led by Major Chris Flannigan . This facility will offer numerous services to the community. AISD currently has 997 homeless students expected to be helped by the Salvation Army.
• A new kite flying event will be instituted by the IMD at Dairy Ashford and Beechnut May 4th 10-2 at the Spark Park and Nature Center (formerly known as the Alief Community Garden on Dairy View)
The next ASNC meeting will be held at 7:00 PM, April 23, 2013 at the Centerpoint location.
The meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM.
Minutes approved ____________
Compiled, Written and Submitted by
V. M. Sugar, Secretary