ALIEF SUPER NEIGHBORHOOD MEETING
Minutes for Tuesday, July 23, 2013
The Alief Super Neighborhood # 25 held its regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, July 23, 7:00 PM, at the CenterPoint Energy Building, 12330 Bellaire Blvd.
Chairperson, Barbara Quattro called the meeting to order at 7:09 P.M. Roll Call of council members was done by sign-in sheet. A quorum was met (see attached).
GUESTS: Veronica Hernandez (COH Mayor’s office); Catherine Le (Congressman Al Green’s office);Celina Vinson (Asst. Harris county Attorney)and Cheryl Thornton; Edna Serrano (LULAC); and three BNC Real estate representatives
HOSPITALITY –Hospitality was provided by the ASNC for this meeting. Hospitality providers are encouraged to volunteer.
1. The May and June minutes were approved.
2. Neeta Sane motioned to adjourn the meeting. Seconded Ann Williams, motion passed.
COMMITTEE & STANDING REPORTS
CHAIR’S REPORT: No input.
TREASURER’S REPORT –Current balance is $1937.01
ELECTIONS/NOMINATING COMMITTEE: No input.
PROJECTS/SNAP COMMITTEE: No input.
Celina Vinson, Assistant Harris County Attorney, Nuisance Abatement Ms Vinson recently moved from Fort Bend County as Prosecutor for the DA’s office. She represents management districts, education, TACB, and property owners against habitual crime. She goes after property owners in civil court who tolerate habitual crime, do nothing to abate it, and harbor the criminals knowingly. This includes drugs, prostitution, reckless discharge of a weapon, illegal game rooms, gang activity (including graffiti), operating without a license, and aggravated assault. She has the power to take over a property and abate the nuisance or get court orders to remove offenders from a property. People are encouraged to report these crimes to the police. Ms. Vinson answered questions from the floor and gave her contact information.
UPCOMING SPEAKERS- The following speakers are scheduled:
August: Representatives Gene Wu and Hubert Vo discussing latest events in the legislature
Mike Laster and COH Planning Department on Chapter 42
September: International Management District
October: Candidates Forum
November: Meeting date changed to 3rd Tuesday of the month
Public Session and Announcements.
• Bear Creek Community Center is again offering numerous classes including AARP defensive driving
• The new $8M Salvation Army facility at Cook and Beechnut, completion schedule is 18 months
• There was a successful Recycle event sponsored by the IMD in April and the next one will be in September.
• The Alief Community Association will be crowning a Miss Teen Alief, Tuesday, August 6th quarterly breakfast at HCC 13300 Bissonnet location
• The Alief Community Association Parade will take place September 21st. Parade meeting August 7th at the International Trade Center on Bellaire
• The COH will be sponsoring a Back to School Festival
• The Annual Alief Health Fair will take place August 3rd
• L’Tisha Michaels made a request to change her email address
The next ASNC meeting will be held at 7:00 PM, August 27, 2013 at the Centerpoint location.
The meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM. Attendees were encouraged to talk to speakers and guests after the meeting.
Minutes approved ____________
Compiled, Written and Submitted by
V. M. Sugar, Secretary