ALIEF SUPER NEIGHBORHOOD MEETING
Minutes for Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Alief Super Neighborhood # 25 held its regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, January 24, 7:00 PM, at the CenterPoint Energy Building, 12330 Bellaire Blvd.
Chairperson, Barbara Quattro, called the meeting to order at 7:03 P.M. Roll Call of council members was done by sign-in sheet. A quorum was met (see attached).
Hospitality: Hospitality, was provided by Brookfield (East) Improvement Corp., Inc A thank you certificate was presented to them for their support of the ASNC.
GUESTS: Veronica Hernandez (COH Mayor’s office); Catherine Le (Congressman Al Green’s office); Speakers and HPD Officers Prause, Skillern, Barber and Maurer; Jose Rio (METRO); David Pantermeuhl (Grace United Church of Christ)
1. Karen Loper motioned to approve the September, October and November 2011 minutes. Seconded Brian Burks. Council voted, motion passed.
2. Vivien Sugar motioned to adjourn the meeting. Seconded Barbara Quattro. Motion Passed.
COMMITTEE & STANDING REPORTS
Barbara Quattro requested ringers on cell phones be turned off. She reminded affected council members to complete their paperwork for the 2012 term. Barbara announced the initial CIP list requests for 2012. See below.
TREASURER’S REPORT –Monique Pham, Treasurer, reported the current balance of $2519.19
ELECTIONS/NOMINATING COMMITTEE No input..
SECURITY/ INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT DISTRICT (IMD): Brian Burks, International Management District, gave a report on the landscaping on Bellaire and Diary Ashford. He noted that TX DOT had provided a grant through the International District to build a hike and bike trail from Alfred Story Park to Hackberry Park. In order to get the grant, the IMD had to provide $400,000 towards the funding. Karen Loper noted that Barbara submitted and won a grant to the United Way for Community Grants and received $3900, and is in the second round of a grant from Breyers Ice Cream for fruit trees. IMD is partnering with Sparks Parks for a $30k pavilion to be built by University of Houston Graduate architectural students in the Alief Community Garden. Apache Corporation provided a grant to the Alief Community Garden for 500 trees and Wells Fargo Corporation donated $6666 which was used to purchase 275’ chain link fence to contain the trees. Plans for the garden include adding water fountain and benches. .
ALIEF COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION Marie Lee announced the Lunar Festival at Amity Park and Networking Breakfast. See below for additional information.
PROJECTS/SNAP COMMITTEE .CIP requests to be submitted in 2012 include:
1. Hennington Library expansion and multi-purpose center
2. Expansion of Hike and Bike trails to Alief
3. Repair sports fields in Alief Community Park
4. Pave parking lot in Alief Community Park
5. Sound-proof interior rooms of Alief Community Park buildings
6. Reconstruction/resurfacing of Beechnut from City limits to Highway 59
7. Overlay High Star from Wilcrest to Belle Park (with the current drainage project occurring along High Star, some of that street is being improved as part of the project)
Captain Michael Skillern, Westside Command Station Captain Skillern took over from Capt. Mary Leintschke five months ago. He apologized for not getting involved with the ASNC sooner. The Captain provided statistics and anecdotes of recent criminal activity in Alief, noting although burglaries are down overall in the city, they are up 17% in Alief.
Officer M. R. Prause gave a powerpoint presentation and disseminated flyers on preventing being a victim of robbery and burglary. His main message was to be aware of your surroundings and listen to your gut feeling that something is not right. He also gave information about how to report a crime, keeping doors locked, and lighting up your property. Officer Prause is from Alief and went through the AISD. The officers answered questions from the floor.
Jose Rio, METRO, responded to questions about trash around METRO bus stops and he said Alief residents could adopt a METRO stop. He said he would investigate the trash situation,
UPCOMING SPEAKERS; The February 2012 meeting speaker will be Senator Rodney Ellis
Public Session and Announcements.
• Veronica Hernandez announced that Catherine Flowers has resigned from the newly formed Dept. of Neighborhoods.
• The first 2012 quarterly networking breakfast will be held Tuesday February 7, 2012, 7:30 AM to 9:30 AM, International Trade Center, 11110 Bellaire Blvd. Houston, Texas Ste. 200, SPEAKER: Kevin Barber, CEO/Founder Veterans Energy
• The ITC Lunar Festival will be held Saturday, January 28, 2012, AMITY PARK, 12509 Alief Clodine Road, Houston, Texas, From 10AM until 10PM. Attendance and Parking is free.
• There is also a Lunar Festival at the Chinese Community Center, February 28th, 10-4
• The Westside Command Station will provide group safety discussions at individual homes or HOA’s with a free safety survey for the homeowner.
• The Thomas A. Glazer Senior Education Center, 16600 Pine Forest Lane, 77084 (S Clay Rd. at Highway 6) is presenting a number of classes for Harris county residents 55 years and older. Call for additional information or to register 713-274-3250.
• Council Member Al Hoang will be hosting the annual District F Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) meeting on Wednesday, March 7 beginning at 6:30 p.m. This year’s meeting will be held at the Tracy Gee Community Center, 3599 Westcenter Drive.
The next ASNC meeting will be held at 7:00 P.M. on the fourth Tuesday, February 28th, 2012, at the CenterPoint Energy Building, 12330 Bellaire Blvd.
The meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM.
Minutes approved ____________
Compiled, Written and Submitted by
V. M. Sugar, Secretary