ALIEF SUPER NEIGHBORHOOD MEETING
Minutes for Tuesday, August 26, 2011
Alief Super Neighborhood # 25 held its regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, August 26th, 7:00 P.M at the CenterPoint Energy Building, 12330 Bellaire Blvd.
Vice Chairman, Mike Kreinsen, called the meeting to order at 7:10 P.M. Roll Call of council members was done by sign-in sheet. A quorum was met later in the meeting (see attached).
Hospitality: Hospitality, was provided by Just Eat. A thank you certificate was presented to Anthony Le for his support of the ASNC.
GUESTS: Stephen Costello, City of Houston Councilman; Carroll Robinson, Candidate for HCC Board; Toya Ramirez (Councilmember Melissa Noriega’s office); Veronica Hernandez (COH Mayor’s office); Catherine Le (Congressman Al Green’s office); speaker H. D. Chambers, Superintendent of AISD, and AISD Board member, Ann Williams.
1. The July minutes were not approved due a lack of quorum.
2. The meeting adjourned without a motion.
COMMITTEE & STANDING REPORTS
Barbara Quattro was out of town and Mike Kreinsen, Vice Chair, presided over the meeting in her stead.
• Mike introduced Stephen Costello, City Councilmember who discussed the drainage program (Renew Houston) and mobility. Mr. Costello stated that pavements have been ranked and a 10-year plan is upcoming. He talked about a mentoring and job training program in construction to take place in schools which would be “green” friendly. He mentioned that the red light camera vote will take place in City Council tomorrow. He also said that a long range taskforce is in the planning stage which would include 17 people to deal with the budget cuts.
• Ann Williams noted that three AISD Board members will be up for reelection this November and asked attendees to please vote.
• Carroll Robinson also reminded people to vote for the HCC Board candidates, of which he is one. Mr. Robinson is a former City Councilmember.
TREASURER’S REPORT –Monique Pham, Treasurer, was absent and no balance was reported.
ELECTIONS/NOMINATING COMMITTEE No input..
SECURITY/ INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT DISTRICT (IMD): No input.
ALIEF COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION Marie Lee announced the parade is slated for September 24th and there will be a toy drive in December. The Quarterly networking breakfast was August 8th
PROJECTS/SNAP COMMITTEE .No input
H. D. Chambers, Alief Independent School District Superintendent. Mr. Chambers gave a power point presentation which provided an overview of the district accomplishments and plans, noting that AISD is ranked as “recognized”. The District consists of 45,410 students, 81% of which are considered “disadvantaged” meaning they qualify for meals; 82 languages are spoken in the district; 91.2% graduated in 2011; demographically both white and black students numbers are down while Hispanics are up. Not only was the budget cut by the State but grants were cut. He provided a chart of the budget which showed that most funds go to salaries and that money spent on after school activities is incredibly small. Mr. Chambers envisions community needs of: partnering between businesses and schools; mentoring; and creating career pathways. This year on Sept.10th, there will be another annual walk round encouraging drop outs to get back into school.
UPCOMING SPEAKERS; the September speakers will be At-large and District F candidates for City Council; and the October speaker will be HPD Officer, Mike Prause, who will be providing information for residential security (This has been postponed to allow additional candidates to speak at the October meeting,)
Public Session and Announcements.
• Alief ISD will be holding their annual Reach out to Dropouts walk on Saturday, September 10th. You can sign up by clicking on this link — http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RO2Dsignup. More information about this event is available on the district website.
• AISD School Board elections are November 8th
• Westchase Recycling event is September 10th at the Carillion Shopping Center on Westheimer, 9-12
• Free children’s immunizations are again being provided by the Houston Fire Department. For more information please contact Paul Box, Houston Fire Department, Public Affairs Division, 600 Jefferson,6th Floor, Houston, Texas 77002. Office: 832-394-6636, Fax: 832-394-6680, E-mail: email@example.com
• Susan Castro announced that anyone who is interested in receiving the AISD Communicator publication by email can go the AISD website to sign up
• Al Green will be co-sponsoring a Health Fair September 3rd at Westbury High School 10 am-2PM
• City of Houston Stage Two Water Conservation is in effect. Signs are available through Veronica Hernandez for subdivisions to post
The next ASNC meeting will be held at 7:00 P.M. on the fourth Tuesday, September 27th, 2011, at the CenterPoint Energy Building, 12330 Bellaire Blvd.
The meeting adjourned at 8:40 PM.
Minutes approved on:September 27, 2011
Compiled, Written and Submitted by
V. M. Sugar, Secretary