MEETING MINUTES ALIEF SUPER NEIGHBORHOOD MEETING
OPENING: The regularly scheduled meeting of the Alief Super Neighborhood Council was held on August 22, 2017 at the Alief Community Center. Chair Barbara Quattro called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM. The first order of business was the Treasurer report from Doug Smith. The ASNC currently has a balance of $884.26.
Chair: Barbara Quattro Vice Chair: Noreen Smith Treasurer: Doug Smith – Secretary: Jesus Zamora.
- Chair Barbara Quattro noted that sanding and painting volunteers are still needed to continue our project in the Alief Community Center Classrooms. Residents interested are encouraged to contact Barbara on their availability.
- Soren Valverde, representing Council Member Le’s Office, informed residents on CM Le’s perspective on the Vietnamese Signage controversy. Chair Barbara Quattro read a letter written by CM Le stating that all residents that have complaints regarding signage need to present them to the IMD Board members. CM Le’s office will remain neutral regarding the controversy registering complaints, but change is not expected.
- Alief ISD Board of Trustees Candidates Forum will be scheduled. An announcement will be made of exact date and location.
- Chair Barbara Quattro and Vice Chair Noreen Smith urged residents to be informed on the upcoming bond in the November 7th The bond issue to fund the multi-service center in Alief will be on the ballot. The Chair also urged residents to contact the ASNC Board about the CIP wish list that is gathered every year to present to the city.
- Jesus Zamora updated residents on the current Alief District F Podcast. The podcast continues to grow in audience statistics and it has earned 5-star reviews on Facebook. Jesus had the honor to interview Houston’s Chief of Police Art Acevedo and his next guest scheduled is former Sheriff of Harris County Adrian Garcia.
Alief Crime Update: Houston Police Captain Mike Faulhaber of the Westside Command presented the latest crime statistics and answered attendee’s questions.
Speaker: Mike Kubosh, At Large Position 3 Council Member: CM Kubosh updated residents on his duties as a Houston City Council Member. Residents asked CM Kubosh about his reasoning on “tagging” the proposed bond which will include funding for the Alief Multi-Service Center. He defended his decision because he questioned where the City will get the money. He further informed Alief residents that he wants to secure our city debt not put us in a deeper debt with “unsecured debt.” He said the does support the bond and he urged community input from residents. CM Kubosh informed residents on bail bond updates. For minor crimes, if a resident informs the court they have no money to pay for a bond they are released, but later must pay a penalty if a warrant is issued for their arrest. County Judges claim there is a 35-40% no show rate and then a mandatory warrant is issued. City Council Members called a special session to vote on Firefighter bond proposal.
- Upcoming Podcast Recording every Friday 5:15pm.
- Painting Volunteers needed for Alief Community Center.
- Alief ISD Candidate Forum TBA
- Upcoming IMD Meeting upcoming Thursday Apple Dentist.
WRITTEN AND SUBMITTED BY: (SECRETARY) Jesus Zamora