ALIEF SUPER NEIGHBORHOOD MEETING
The regular meeting of the Alief Super Neighborhood Council was held on February 28, 2017 at the Alief Community Park.
Chairman Barbara Quattro called the meeting to order at 6:35 PM. The first order of business was the election of the following officers for 2017. The officers were elected by a unanimous voice vote of all in attendance.
- Chair: Barbara Quattro
- Vice Chair: Noreen Smith
- Treasurer: Doug Smith
- Secretary: Jesus Zamora
- Rebuilding of the Alief Community Park facilities to be included in a November 2017 bond issue according to Mayor Sylvester Turner at the Alief CIP meeting held February 21, 2017.
- Attendees were urged to write to the Legislature requesting they pass the Pension Fund changes proposed by Mayor Turner including a $1 billion bond to fund the pension shortfall.
- Hackberry Park received an allocation of City Park funds by retiring Director Joe Turner to improve circulation in park ponds and rid the infestation of mosquitoes due to still water.
Noise and Fireworks: Houston Police Captain Mike Faulhaber of the Westside Command briefed attendees on the noise ordinance. Because there are limited resources, the Houston Police Department will NOT dispatch officers for reports of illegal fireworks. In addition, Capt. Faulhaber stated that police officers will be dispatched for loud noise complaints ONLY if the person making the complaint is willing to swear out a warrant. According to Capt. Faulhaber, the police force currently has 5,100 members and should have 10,000 members for a city of this size. The captain also reported that many senior officers are retiring because of the City’s proposed pension plan.
Panhandling: The Police Departments generally requests that citizens refrain from giving handouts as the City is currently providing resources to those in need, per the Homeless Outreach Team (HOT).
- March 21st at 6:30 p.m. @ Mata Intermediate School. This is an area wide meeting to discuss chromium 6 in the water supply
- Next Alief Super Neighborhood Meeting will be March 28th at 6:30 PM at the Alief Community Park. Assistant Chief of Building Permits Rick Norquist will be the speaker.
WRITTEN AND SUBMITTED BY: Jesus Zamora, Secretary